Monday, July 25, 2011

Spice Cake and Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce.


Hi! I'm Elena and I'm Dawn's daughter.  I really like to cook and it's one of my favorite hobbies.  My favorite things to make are pesto, curries, and other vegetarian dishes. My signature dish is Pumpkin Soup.

 I got this cookbook as a present from my Grandma and Grandpa. It was my Grandpa's mom's and her name was Elizabeth.This is one of my favorite recipes out of this cookbook. I've found a lot of really interesting recipes in there, like Sea Foam Candy. The Spice Cake looked really interesting so I was like "What the heck? Why not try this one?"


Here is my Great-Grandma Elizabeth, my Grandpa {he's the smallest one} and his brothers.


My Great-Great Grandma gave it to my Great-Grandma. This book was used a lot! It's so cool because it was put together in the 1950's.


Here's the recipe:

Spice Cake

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
3 eggs- beaten
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 scant teaspoon cloves
sprinkle of nutmeg
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour milk (buttermilk works)
nuts

Can you believe that they're weren't any directions? I mixed the ingredients in order it was listed. Grease an 8 inch circle pan + bake the cake at the standard 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. I checked the cake about 20 minutes in. You should be good!
- Recipe from Mrs. Clifford Blix

Luisa gave us some Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce from 'Trader Jacques'.  It was really creamy and sweet.

Here's another recipe for caramel sauce if you want it to go with the cake.  It came from my Great-Grandma's cookbook too:
Caramel sauce

3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup (you can substitute golden syrup)
1/4 cup rich milk
1/2 teaspoon salt (or fleur de sel)
1/2 cup of butter

Boil about 8 minutes.  Stir.  Do not overcook. 
-Recipe from Mrs R.A. Gundersen


The cake wasn't heavy and it wasn't light. It was right in between.  The cake also wasn't too sweet. It was just right in my opinion! I would so make it again!


Well, I hope you really like the recipe!
Please let me know if you make the cake~
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment